Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Coco Ichibanya, The Best Japanese Curry Rice in Town?

Having heard many excellent comments on Coco Ichibanya, I was no doubt stepping my feet into this Japanese curry rice specialty restaurant when I visited Grand Indonesia last time. Since it was opened in December 2013, it has drawn a lot of curry lovers' attention, including myself. It was almost a year opened and I only managed to have a meal there this time.

The interior has no special thing to remember; a normal wood dominated seats and tables with light texture and colour rather than thick-coloured wood which is now very popular among dining places and cafes in Jakarta. I find it very pleasant and bring a bright mood for the customers.




There are wide selections of curry rice on the menu, from mix curry (meat + veg), omelette curry to vegetable curry. As I am weirdly a vegetable lover and I think it's a must to eat veggie wherever and whenever I eat, I chose a dish from mix curry list, the Chicken Cutlet and Vegetable Curry (IDR 78k). But, the order did not stop there, I was also asked to pick the rice portion and the level of spiciness I would allow in my curry. I was happily chose less rice (less IDR 5k) and extra hot. I was, actually tempted to try the highest level of heat, however, I am afraid it would bring me tears and also be embarrassing to reveal the mellow side of me crying over a plate curry rice. LOL

The Appetizing Mix Curry Rice
Evidently, the heat turned out to be okay, was not too biting but nicely complement the original taste of the Japanese curry, which was so good. Combined with the fragrance and warm Japanese rice, it was superb! The dish came with a big plate with fully filled with gravy. It was a perfect choice of the less portion rice. I guess I could have come out of the restaurant with super stuffed belly if I had gone with the standard size. The chicken cutlet was great as well, it was juicy and succulent. In the end, unsurprisingly, my plate was really clean after meal.

Unfortunately, I must say it's in the higher price level since my favourite curry rice to date, Ikkudo Ichi's rendition offers the same level of taste and flavour with less price. However, I also do not deny that people claims Coco Ichibanya serves the best curry rice. People have their own opinion, right?


Coco Ichibanya 
Grand Indonesia Mall, Lantai 3A, West Mall
Jl. MH, Thamrin
Jakarta Pusat
021 23580960

Monday - Sunday : 10:00 - 22:00

No comments:

Post a Comment