Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Childhood Nostalgia : Grand City at Sunlake Hotel

Sunlake Hotel is not only a hotel located around my house area, but it keeps some memories, especially my childhood's. I remembered that me and family used to have a fun weekend swimming there when I was in high school. Not to mention, we were staying there for some days as our area got a severe flood. It was a bad memory indeed, but we had a big family reunion at other time beside Chinese New Year or any special occasion, wasn't it good?


After years never stepped on my feet there, again, flood pushed me to come. This time, me and family went there to try Grand City's dim sum. It might also not a coincidence as few days before my visit, my friend told me that their dim sum is pretty good and of course, contain pork (Yay!). Based on the conversation, actually it became my must visit list. However, I did not expect it to happen so fast. Then, is my friend's statement true? Here's some of my order list.


 1. Guo tie
Their version is deep frying the dumpling which make the skin crispy. The filling is quite generous and taste wise, it's pretty good. My favourite cooking method for guo tie is pan fried with steam it at the same time. This makes the skin a bit chewy and got a nice char at the bottom that brings wonderful flavour.
2. Xiao Long Bao

While it is a good thing for guo tie to be so meaty, but it is not proper for xiao long bao. The broth should stand out more than the meat itself, because it's the one that make xiao long bao is different from the normal dumpling. 

3. Scallop dumpling

The taste is okay and the filling include prawn which is bigger than the scallop. Well, it will be priced high if they put big scallop, right?

4. Liu Sha Bao

One of my favourite dim sum, period. But yet, I have not found the nice one in Jakarta, that is better or at least as good as the one I ate in Singapore. Grand City's version uses milk, which overpower the salted egg yolk. It is another disappointment, so yea.


5. Chicken Feet
The most dish I liked on that day. It is so juicy and the chicken absorbs the sauce really well that makes it so tasty. The sauce also well seasoned.


6. Steamed Pork Ribs
The meat is succulent and the broth is good as well, but it does not blow me a way.

7. Cheong Fan with char siew filling 
 The cheong fan is too thick and the filling is too little; makes it a little bit heavier than usual cheong fan dish. However, the sauce is good.



8. Chicken Pie Dumpling
It is deep fried and I like the pastry as it's crispy and flaky. On the other hand, the chicken filling inside does not feel like it's meant to be the proper match with the pastry.

9. Egg Tart
The pastry is good as well as the custard texture, but the egg smell is really pungent. I can only stand to eat one. 

Grand City could be on one of top choices to get dim sum craving fixed.Indeed, you must prepare more cash but better be hurry to enjoy their 30% discount only on weekends for dim sum and additional 15% for other food and beverages using BCA cc.





Grand CitySunlake Hotel (Hotel Danau Sunter)
Jl. Danau Permai Timur, Sunter Agung
North Jakarta

Monday - Friday : 11.00 - 15.30 & 18.00 - 23.30         
Weekends            : 08.00 - 15.30 & 18.00 - 23.30

No comments:

Post a Comment